Blog Archive

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The sausage lady goes running...


"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small compared to what lies within us"

Ralph Waldo Emerson


OK, its time to REALLY get going! I'll admit it, I've been a slacker, having a really hard time getting motivated. Maybe it has something to do with the holidays, the overeating, completing my first quarter back to school. I may even be a little cocky thinking I was halfway trained from before. Today was extra hard because it was 34 degrees outside and all my running clothes are summer wear. So I drug out my old winter clothes from my thinner days and ended up looking like a sausage casing! Not to be deterred I put my fancy capri's and standard red fleece on over my sausage clothes. I thought no problem this will work fine. It worked great until I actually started running and my too tight leggings started sliding down to my crotch and my too tight tank started riding up and restricted my inhalation and exhalation! (It reminded me of the time I was working with Lori "Zucchini" and wore my too tight flight suit - I think I exploded at altitude!) Anyway, the excuses are endless but nonetheless its time to get serious. I think of Lew often and know that he doesn't get any time off, he has to keep going to treatments and keep his attitude up.
Today, at practice, we met our official honor patient. Of course, Lew is my number one honor patient, but Isaac is our team honor patient. He is four years old and has been going through chemo since he was 18 months old. He showed up to cheer us on and asked us to run to "stomp out cancer". If that doesn't make you want to run (and cry at the same time) nothing will! Well, to tell you the truth, today at practice I mostly kept running to stay ahead of who I wasn't sure were the drug dealers or the undercover cops. Some running trails are really creepy! I know what you're thinking, "where was Clint to stave off the creepy people"? Oh Yah! Well, it turns out Clint is young and athletic and runs way faster than I do! (Enter expletive about Clint here!) Yes, so it looks like its just going to be me bringing up the rear...again! Oh well, time to embrace my tortoise self - what I lack in speed I certainly make up for in perseverance and stamina!

Mission Moment: At Team in Training we describe mission moments as the very person, feeling or motivation that keeps us focused and moving forward. For me, that mission is Lew. I think of him when I am running and need that extra boost. All of you are also my mission moments! Every one of you who reads this blog, sends words of encouragement, donates funds and thinks of ways to help Lew and so many others like him! You are what makes Team in Training successful! I thought for this time around (so you could hear other stories besides "sausage lady stories") I thought I would be sure to include some of my Lew stories and mission moments. So here goes:
Lew is feeling better after what had to be a challenging ablative chemo and autologous stem cell transplant. He maintains an incredibly cheerful attitude and continues to crack me up with his sense of humor. At our last visit, right after walking in the door, he tells me that he is doing quite well except for the fact that he is considering investing in earth toned underwear! OK, that was hysterical and if you didn't get it, think side effects of chemo! He then goes on to show me an "onion article" that he thought was exactly his sense of humor and made us both laugh out loud.
Click here to share in the twisted comedy:

The Onion Video

For Thanksgiving, as best laid plans were made to share it with Lew and Rose, we had to go to a quick plan B. I got a cold and since Lew is still immunosuppressed we ended up having a non-traditional event. See picture of Pilgrims and Indians! There is ALWAYS a plan B and we used walkie talkies and a crack in the door to celebrate good times, good friends and thankfulness!
Go Team!!
P.S. I will be updating my fundraising and marathon links as soon as I get through my final next week! Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Sandy Brians said...

Your funnyness (new word) cheers me up! Keep up the good work and we are praying for Lew!

Unknown said...

Christina we love you! You have no idea how you bolster Lew and my spirits. I am still chuckling about your last entry. Have you considered writing a book...(in addition to everything else doing)? You go girl! Hugs!

Courtney Lewis said...

Christina, it was SOOOO great to see you at the run that day. I'm sad we're not on the same team this time around, but I'm so thrilled you've joined TNT again! You're such an amazing person, & it's been such a treat to know you. I hope we see each other out there on the trails again soon. Hugs & happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady!
I do hope you are hanging in there with all this fabulous slush.
I never did get together with your sister to run - our schedules did not match up to work it out.
Love your story! And the video made me smile :) Do you think the reporter had a Hmmm? moment after he said that out loud?!
Have a wonderful week & we'll see you next year!
~heidi

Anonymous said...

Dear Christina, You are the best! Keep up the excellent work. I think of you running often as I relax on my couch with my martini in hand. I will support you in spirit (or spirits) from afar. Laurie B

Unknown said...

Christina -- you crack me up! I thought of you as I had my own visit with the podiatrist (OMG - I can't believe I just admitted that!) and am supposed to be training for the Columbia Tower stairclimb. How on earth did I let you and Lew inspire me to do EXERCISE?! Go Lew! Go Christina! sandy kb