Blog Archive

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Here We Go...AGAIN!!

Is it really November already?! Yes, it is and that means I have signed up for the Vancouver marathon and started training once again! This time not so much drama but certainly enough that I would be starting all over again from square one. It turns out, not entirely from square one as I have sports bra, shoes, orthotics, and plus size running capri's in my bag of goodies from my last attempt. I have dusted off the treadmill and started again with the one and one - this is just painful to think of starting all over again when my teammates have all tasted sweet success, hugged a hunky fireman and are wearing Tiffany jewels! Anyway, other than a big giant cramp in my hamstring I actually didn't do as bad as the firt time around and even went for the 2 and 1 during my week 1 training! Yes, that's right, 2 minutes of running straight out of the barrel! You go girl!
It is also very ironic that my starting out again coincides with Lew's big week of ablative chemo and stem cell transplant. Friday was Lew's big day and I had planned to be there for his big transplant celebration. Unfortunately, although I am healthy, Jack woke up with a fever and it just seemed too risky to be around Lew. Sorry Lew and Rose - I wanted to be there for you! We have so many 1940's musicals to catch up on!
I am planning on continuing with fundraising (there is just absolutely no good reason to run a marathon unless we are going to cure myeloma!) and because Vancouver has a lower fundrasising goal than San Fransisco more money will be going directly towards finding a cure for Lew! If anyone out there wants to join me I will meet with you every week to run and raise money!
As an update, the wonderful Clint Smith has stepped up to the plate!! He has joined the team! Yesterday, he asked me if we "are going to be the only two fatties on the team?" Hmm....so glad that I can serve as an inspiration to fat people everwhere. Yes Clint, we are! (It turns out my uterus didn't weigh 50 pounds like I thought it would!) This team looks exceptionally young and fit so its just you and me bringing up the rear! My pastor says he is going to run the marathon as well - I am not sure if this is for him or for me - as last time I did see Jesus a time or two.
For all of you who have supported me through this HUGE event - I continue to thank you and count you as a blessing each day! I am going to run this marathon for you, for me and especially for Lew!! Go Team!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Now Christina, what I really said was "are there any other fatties on the team?" meaning will there be anyone other than myself. At no time did I ever mean to include you in my so proudly titled "Clydesdale" grouping!

Anonymous said...

Congrats and best wishes as you head into Part 2 of your big adventure!

Chaunaci

heidi said...

Christina your blog is super! You have a wonderful, encouraging spirit & I am looking forward to getting to know you better as we train. I too started a blog to keep people near & far in touch with what I am doing. (seeheidibrun.blogspot.com)
See you at practice!
~heidi TNTer