Where do I even begin to tell this story?! OK, so if you are keeping up with the blog you know the whole methotrexate story and the continued elevated HCG saga. So, I went to a specialist who after much labwork and multiple diagnostic procedures decides to do a repeat D&C. I thought, no problem! I will have it on Thursday, be back to running on Friday and have my long run on Saturday. Well, the best laid plans....the next thing I know I am waking up from anesthesia in an ambulance! My first words are, "what happened?" The medic says, "you lost a lot of blood", I say, "am I tachycardic?" he, says, "No, you are bradycardic" I say, "how much fluid have I had?" He says, "this is your 3rd liter". I say, "oh". When we get to the ER I hear that I lost 1200ml of blood and was hypotensive in the OR. Hmm... I am watching the monitor and my heart rate is running between 48-58 and BP 92/62. It seems my vitals have been in this range for a while so the nurse says to me, "It so strange, its almost like you are a marathon runner!!! I lit up like a fireplug and am absolutely beaming and I say to her, "well, as a matter of fact, I'm training to run a marathon!!! That nurse just made my day and every single drop of blood was worth it (well almost)! John pipes in and tells the nurse, "you do know you are going on the blog". She looks somewhat baffled but I guess it never occurred to her to ask me if I was in fact a runner?! I am sure she did the marathon scan and thought, um no, not a chance.
Which leads to the the next conversation that John and I had. He apparently thought it was pretty funny to inform me that maybe I should consider getting a medic alert bracelet that says: despite my "incredible" physique I am in fact a marathon runner - Beware of great vital signs! (OK, this made me laugh out loud!)
So today, I should be running 12 miles and I am home rebuilding red blood cells. I asked my doctor if I could still run and she thought I had lost my mind but I am really am afraid to miss any training. As it is, I am barely going to make the time limit and this is crucial training time. I feel like I am just about to get over the hump. Today, was going to be our second 12 mile run and it was going to be pretty telling that the first time wasn't a fluke.
I have my next doctor appt. on Tuesday so I may try and do a long run on Wednesday. Anybody game for meeting me at Pt. Defiance park for a long run?
Blog Archive
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember the first time I was asked, "Are you an athlete?" I just laughed. I mean come on, I'm the fittest fat person I know. So I replied, "I run a little." The nurse laughed and said, with that pulse and b/p you're an athlete. Big smile. Feels good. :) So even with the set-back and any future set backs...you are now an athlete!!! You will get back to it now no matter what comes up and you will love every minute of running when you can run again. Go Christina!
Your blogs are hilarious....are you always this funny, or is it just in reference to running? Anyways, Courtney let our whole group know that you're postponing your involvement till your health gets back on track....I know that must be frustrating, but we'll be thinking of you tomorrow on our long run, and like you say, this is a tiny setback--with your spirit and determination I have no doubt you'll be getting that finisher's medal/tiffany necklace soon! Hang in there!
Post a Comment