Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The countdown begins...

We are into the home stretch! 5 weeks to go and I hope to never NEVER talk about a marathon again! I have realized that I am never going to be the poster child for running. I am never going to love it, embrace it, or want to be one with it. I haven't even had visions of playing the saxaphone this time around! What I am glad for is what it brings to Lew - I hope you have heard his good news - if not, here it is:

his "CD3+ T-cells 71% donor origin (29% host)
CD33+ myeloid cells 100% donor origin (0% host). Additionally, I was told that myeloma cells (the cancer cells) are undetectable in my bone marrow by flow cytometry. I think this is very good! I don't believe it means I am cured, but it bodes well."

When I heard this news, I immediately asked Lew if I could quit running now and he said, "NO!" Darn, I would have gladly gone outside and thrown my running shoes into traffic!


OK, so this week is a big one! We will be at the Orting Trail going for 240 minutes - this should translate to 18 miles! Yikes, I'm a little nervous given my last weeks events but I am going to try and put all that behind me and move forward - really, what else can I do?! By the way, I did get an apology from my coach for my last big run so I am really hoping things will go well. Thank you to everyone who called, emailed or FB'd all your support - I am truly hanging on your every word to get this done!

I just realized, by the time we get done training I will have done 6 half marathons-wow! Amazing!

Today was an exceptionally good training day. Tuesdays can sometimes be hard if Jack wants a little more attention during my treadmill time. Today my run was going great and he was doing great as well. I had my ipod on because somehow Sid the Science Kid or Little Einsteins just doesn't exactly inspire me to run. I saw him run out of the room and then come back. Hmm. I wonder what he was doing? Again he runs out and comes back a short time later...this time not wearing any clothes. OK, things could be worse. A naked 3 year old isn't the end of the world. He even went potty all by himself (I sure hope he washed his hands!) My run is going so good, right now I don't care if he wants to watch the rest of Little Einsteins totally in the buff. Then he leaves the room again. This time he comes back with my make-up brushes in his hands rubbing them all over his butt, "Mommy, is it OK if I rub these on my bottom?" I just smiled and said, "sure". Note to self: get new make-up brushes and it was worth one great run!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting my choice of a 1/2 marathon in perspective! You and all the other folks are putting so much time and effort into this race which means so much to me. I have 3 people that will be listed on my jersey to be honored and I wish I could put all of yours on there also.
Thanks for sticking it out through all of the crap weather and drama.
*I'm sorry I missed the weekend that Lew and Rose showed up. Would've been great to shake his hand.
~Toni, fellow Vancouver racer

Unknown said...

Christina,

You will always be Lew and my poster child for running! Even more so as I watched you brave the cold, wet, windy elements with so much determination.

You have more strength and determination than anyone I know. Marathon on girl, we can't wait to cheer you on May 3rd! We love you!

Rose

Rose

Unknown said...

Christina:
You so ROCK! You're my inspiration, "Christina-in-Training"! Go, go, go, girl! RUN FOR LEW! skb