Blog Archive

Thursday, January 22, 2009

What a week!

Wow, what a week! It started out with a really crappy run, then I went to a fantastic stem cell party hosted by Lew of course and finally I updated my Team in Training fundraising page! Whew!

I'll start out with my favorite part of the whole week! Lew got his stem cell transplant on Wednesday! Woo-hoo! This is so exciting with the thought of a cure in the future! A bunch of us met outside Seattle Cancer Care Alliance for "rehearsal" and then proceeded inside for serenading and a cheerleading party for Lew's stem cells. It was a fabulous experience and the staff at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance were incredibly supportive of our shenanigans! It was great to see Lew, Rose and Lew's brother and donor, Bill with happy, smiley, and strong faces! (See pictures) It made me really love this quote of the week:

Cancer is So LIMITED:
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot conquer the spirit"

This brings me to finally updating my fundraising page. Many of you have asked about it and I meant to do it months ago but finally here it is:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/vancouvr09/cmcconnell
You can just click on the link in the link section to the right of the blog. I left my old TNT Nike fundraising page available to click on so you could continue to see the incredible people who have donated and left words of inspiration. Thanks to everyone for the support! My next big plan (not sure when this will actually start) is to have a fun run! Not the sort of fun run I have told so many of you about (the Reno pashmina wearing not at all fun run) but a TRULY fun run. I have many details in my head but for those of you who do and don't like to run keep this in mind for some fundraising fun in the future!

The worst part of my week was my long run on Saturday. We met at Vassault park in the typical cold and fog. As usual I was last ...and alone. Not so terrible except its no fun being by yourself when you get into some questionable neighborhoods. I seemed to be really dragging on this run and even after some Goo and Shotblocks just couldn't get it really going. I couldn't even get the positive thinking going. Most of my thoughts were: "this is really stupid, I just drove over an hour to come run by myself in neighborhoods that I wouldn't normally go in. Hmmm....not the brightest move". Those thoughts continued on to "this is no fun, why am here, I wish I had finished the Nike with my other coach and mentor". Finally, I just turned around. Blah. That's it, no happy ending to this day.

The overall good news is I have had several good runs since then so hopefully am back on track.

Keep Lew and Rose in your prayers this week as some of the transplant side effects may start to kick in. Also, Lew's brother and stem cell donor, Bill, who travels back home today to be with his wife as she starts chemo for newly diagnosed breast cancer.

1 comment:

Courtney Lewis said...

Hang in there! I know you're a trooper, so those long runs will get better. Guess what? I'm coming out to run with your team tomorrow. Soooo excited to see you! :)