Blog Archive

Monday, August 25, 2008

Not giving up!!

I have really struggled with this post, taking it and out of draft and not sure really what I wanted to say. At first I was angry/sad/discouraged all at the same time. I'm not ready to end our reproductive life! I am running a marathon! I am too distrustful of medical people (oh wait, that's me) to have a big surgery! I am freaked out about it being trobphoblastic! My blog started out: "a tiny setback turns big" "and are you kidding me!!" I was well on my way to a full blown angry/pity party! But now that I've had a week to think about it and sort of relax about it (OK, not even close to relax), I think I am instead going to go with "there is no way this is going to stop me!!" and "I AM running a marathon!!" It may not be in October but I AM running a marathon!!
So after last week's surgery center/ambulance event I had my follow up appt. with not such good news. They found a 12 cm mass in my uterus, most likely retained products from our pregnancy, that will not respond to drugs, D&C etc... Some concerns are another hemorrhage, infection or that it is trophoblastic disease. Unfortunately, after much discussion and many medical opinions the only option left is a hysterectomy. Deep breath/long pause/silence....

It turns out hysterectomy and marathon do not go hand in hand. Interestingly enough when my doctor told me, my first words were, "but I am running a marathon and people gave me money"! He said, "no, your not running a marathon". After trying to think of every way possible to have a full blown abdominal surgery and still run in October it looks like the surgery can't wait and the running will have to. I immediately called Team in Training straight out of the parking lot and they so kindly are transferring all my fundraising to the next marathon I am available for. I am thinking Vancouver B.C. in May?!
So anyway, I am still freaked out, but not entirely hysterical, and surgery is scheduled for Wednesday with a 3 day wait on getting the pathology back on the mass. Thank you to everyone who called, sent cards, left messages and posted here. You are all fabulous and appreciated! I will not be deterred! I will continue to support Lew and every one of you who gave me a donation - I AM RUNNING A MARATHON!

6 comments:

LT Arnold said...

Christina,

You're on my mind a lot these days...thinking about you, John, and Jack. I'm inspired by your continued drive and dedication, though. Almost made me want to start running...almost.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh -it has been ages since I read your blog. Tonight as I sit doing an OT /N, I sat down to see what you were up to. When God said there would be trials and tribulations on this earth, I did not know He would give them all to you. Yet through it all, you continue to be so positive. I will be praying for you through your surgery and hope to talk and see you soon. You are an inspiration!

Love,
Nicole Hardie

Anonymous said...

Just catching up with you. It's an enaging and enjoyable read as always!

It looks like you've surpassed your fundraising goal - AWESOME! This experience is really about the journey, and not the final destination. I am so proud of all that you've accomplished, and the awareness and inspiration you create.

Any chance you can get John to run for you? ;)

As for the other news, I'm so sorry. I pray for a swift and smooth recovery from surgery.

Rest up, heal up, and maybe take up that saxaphone.

Hugs and love,
Chaunaci

yayalydia said...

Christina,
You are so awe inspiring. Your determination and love of others is very overwelming. It's been awile since I have read your posts and as expected they made me laugh and cry all at the same time. You are truly one of God's blessings. Proof by the man shoes and sports bra.
My heart goes out to you and John over this last heartbreak and I pray for a quick recovery.
Christina you will run another marathon! I bet even more then one. But until that time, let's have that wine and cheese party.
Much love and God bless,
Lydia

Unknown said...

Christina, I have been taking a lot from what you are doing. I am saddened that you are going through this event. I have heard many wonderful stories about your trials and tribulations. Just know that you thought of every day. You have been a huge motivation for me. I started working out as well in april. You are in my prayers. If there is anything you guys need, just ask.. Miss ya... Bartman

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina,

I'm sure thinking of you and sending some hugs your way. Thanks for going to the caregiver classes for Lew and keeping him away from all the fast food joints on the way home. He had such a fun time with you and Laurie. Laughter is the best medicine and you bring that fun and joy out in people. November 3rd starts the next phase...transplant! Give Jack a hug for us! Love ya! Rose