Blog Archive
Friday, May 16, 2008
Signing up for a marathon
Who signs up to run a marathon?! Crazy people. People who are missing a nut, or have something to prove or are bored. I happen to be none of those people, although my husband would argue the "crazy". Whenever I say crazy, he says, "you mean crazier". Whatever. Anyway, I signed up to run a marathon. I did it out of helplessness. You see, my dear friend Lew Stanford was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and there is nothing I can do. I don't even live close enough to send him a meal although he might be relieved about that - just ask Rick Rathbun who I accidentally poisoned on the morning of his check ride with Art - yikes! Anyway, what I learned is that although I cannot take away Lew's cancer, make him feel better during his chemo or even take him a meal, I can raise money so that brilliant people out there can find a cure or make this a manageable disease. Somehow I live in this interesting culture that says people will give you money if you do things that will embarrass, test or requires pain of yourself. I have no doubt that all of those will occur. Nonetheless if people will give money so that a cure will be found then here we go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Christina, you are my hero!!! I won't run unless someone is chasing me with a knife!! I'm so proud of you, GO GIRL!
Maria
Post a Comment