Blog Archive
Friday, May 16, 2008
Getting talked into it - The Kick Off
So I showed up to a Team in Training information session thinking I would just listen to what they had to say. I was sure they would be unorganized, in it for the wrong reasons, wouldn't really care, had beady eyes - you name it, I was sure I could get out of it. The next thing I know I have tears in my eyes as I hear stories of how patient after patient has benefited from the research that Team in Training has provided with all the money raised. I am inspired by all the speakers who have candy and pom poms and pens to sign up with. I hear about the team Captain's husband who could have survived his blood cancer if he had gotten it 7 years later. He was only 50. This is how quickly treatment is changing. I hear about new drugs that are being developed and the thought that this is on the cusp of being a "manageable disease". I think of Lew and maybe I can do something. How far is a marathon after all? They tell stories of every kind of person - tall, short, fat, skinny, runners, non-runners who complete marathons. They assure us that, in fact, they are not fast runners. Hmm. Could I do this? They tell a story of a lady that took 8 hours to complete her marathon but she did it. Then it happens! A lady sitting in front of me says, "I wasn't even in labor for 8 hours!" I immediately perk up and think, "Well SIGN ME UP! I was in labor for 52 hours I can run 6 marathons!!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment